The Crafter in the Rafters

A collection of crafting ideas, projects, and how tos.

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

It's the First Day of School!

Yay! It's the first day of school! I am probably the only person my age who is actually happy about that fact. Actually, I'm not sure there are people at any age who are excited about that fact. I can't explain what it is about the first day of school. Maybe it's the start of something new, or the anticipation of learning something completely different, or the possibility of meeting new people...I don't know. I just enjoy the idea of school, of learning. I'm determined that in my lifetime, I will never stop learning. Of course, at some point I will get tired of school (usually half-way through the semester...).

Of course, it could also be the school supplies. I'm a complete nut for school supplies. I get the shakes when I go into Office Depot, walking up and down the aisles picking out pens, binders, paper, highlighters. I usually don't buy anything, except on the first day of school. On that day, I get to treat myself to a nice new pen to take notes with. It's become a tradition. Previous pens have not lasted much longer than the first class...too inky, too bold, bad color...I have a collection of reasons for which I will decommission a pen, but I always have a new one on the first day of class. It's become sort of a symbol of a new beginning for me...a chance to start over with a clean slate. I suppose it's a strange thing to attribute to a pen, but it's a nice thought nonetheless.

3 Comments:

At 1/21/2005 11:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to love going textbook shopping when I was in school because you could charge any remotely class-related product to your student account. Notebooks, acrylic paints, fancy-ass pens... whatever you wanted you could have. (Of course, that bill came eventually, but it was fun while it lasted.)
-goatdog

 
At 1/21/2005 2:48 PM , Blogger celtickris said...

Oh yeah, I forgot about the book buying part! I love buying new books, especially the ones in plastic. Even though I always buy used when I can to save money, I secretly hope that there won't be any so that I just have to buy a brand-spanking new book :-) I don't really enjoying the bill-paying part either, but it is fun while it lasts!

 
At 1/25/2005 10:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always hated the first day of school. ;-)

I remember one year I had two classes that had the same books as previous classes I had taken, and then I had a class or two that didn't have any books. My total supplies cost came out to something like $20. So I wasted the rest of my "supplies" money buying paint supplies for my own, personal, greedy use. MUAH HA HA!! That was kind of fun.

--shane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home