The Crafter in the Rafters

A collection of crafting ideas, projects, and how tos.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Some Traditions Haven't Gone the Way of the Dodo

There are many traditions of good neighborliness that seem to have passed out of existence. Especially in the city, the mere gesture of greeting someone with a pleasant hello or a geniune smile is rare. However, my neighbors across the hall proved that not all neighborliness is gone.

After returning from class this evening, I was greeted by a knock at my door. Actually Victoria was greeted by the knock, I was in the back of the apartment talking on the phone. I open the door to find two very friendly looking strangers bearing brownies. They introduced themselves and explained that they lived across the hall from me. I invited them in. Of course, I'll pretty much let anybody in who shows up with brownies, but anyway...

We chatted for a few minutes, and they got to meet Victoria. She was even nice enough not to bite them on their first visit. They didn't stay long, just long enough to make me feel welcome in my new neighborhood. I will always have fond memories of my old neighborhood and apartment, being my first real home since the divorce and all. But, I have to admit that this new apartment and surrounding neighborhood feels more like home than I ever expected it to. I wasn't happy about being forced to move, but I have to admit that now I'm glad I did.

2 Comments:

At 10/21/2005 10:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think about doing something nice like that for a neighbor... but I never do it. :-(

-shane

 
At 10/24/2005 9:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were they pot brownies? 'cause that would be even cooler.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home