The Crafter in the Rafters

A collection of crafting ideas, projects, and how tos.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Well, That's News.

Apparently, there was a bomb in my building yesterday. Both the Tribune and the Sun Times have articles about it. It seems that everybody knew about this incident, except those of us who work in the building. The building management never told us that there was a bomb. They didn't evacuate us. They just quietly called the police and hoped nobody would notice the police cars and bomb squad officers milling around the building.

It took me a long time to get used to working across the street from the biggest terrorist target in Chicago. I freaked out just a little when the government uncovered the incredibly poorly planned attack on the Sears Tower, even though I knew it was nothing. Somehow I felt safe. I believed that the building would do what was in its power to protect the people who spend the majority of their lives between these walls. Now, I'm not so sure. My company wasn't notified of the incident until 5:30, almost three hours after it happened. And all our people were told was that there was an incident with one of the tenants and the police had been called. Yeah, there was an incident alright...somebody sent someone here a bomb! Hello! Don'tcha think communication would be a good thing here?

My favorite part of the articles is where they say that the bomb didn't do what it was intended to do. Really. It didn't blow up? How nice. The fact that something like this could happen where I work is just a really freaky thought for me. Perhaps I'm a little naive about such things, but really who would have thought?

1 Comments:

At 2/15/2007 11:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering how many times I've been dragged out into the freezing cold or sweltering heat because some ass wanted a day off and called in a threat, I am really amazed by your story. Glad it didn't go off!

-shane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home