The Crafter in the Rafters

A collection of crafting ideas, projects, and how tos.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Good Bye, Miss Kitty

It's never easy to say "good bye" to someone you love. Last Sunday, I said good bye to my little girl. I had been planning on taking her back to Manistee and putting her to sleep there, but she and Mother Nature had different plans.

She weedled her way into my heart from the moment I first saw her hiding in the back of her cage at the Anti-Cruelty Society. She was everything you could ask for in a furry companion and a few things you probably wouldn't want. But, she was never boring. She had personality, and she filled my life with companionship and happiness (also bite marks and scars).

My apartment feels empty now. Her toys have all been boxed up, and her tent put away. You wouldn't think that something so small could leave such a big hole, but she did. I miss her, the random showering episodes, her refusal to allow me to go to the bathroom alone, her greeting me at the door when I come home, her hogging the bed. I miss it all.

But despite missing her, I think I'm ready to move on. I had plenty of time to prepare for what was going to happen eventually. And even if the timing of it was out of my control, she went very peacefully. I couldn't have asked for it to have gone better actually, for my sake and for hers.

I will always remember her fondly. Eight years of constant companionship will not be forgotten. But, I think I'm ready to start thinking about getting another kitty. It won't happen right away. But sometime soon, a little fuzzy one will strike my fancy and I'll just have to bring him or her home with me.

In the meantime though, I hope my little queen is raising holy hell in heaven. That was, after all, what she was happiest doing, and she was definitely good at it!

1 Comments:

At 3/10/2007 5:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Miss Kitty. Owning pets is a two-way street. On one hand, you have to accept that they come and go. On the other hand, they make such a big impact on your life. It is hard to lose a loved one, even if they only have a 9-19 year lifespan! The bright side is that you'll always remember her, and hopefully when you are ready another little cutie will be waiting for you somewhere. Take care!

--shane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home